Saturday, May 1, 2010

My grandaughter often asks me to tell a story of when I was a little girl.
Today I will try to recreate one of those fond memories when
life was simplier and filled with fun times!

This is the creek down the hill from where I lived growing up.
Of course the water was deeper back then but not to deep.
It actually extended up the bank on either side a bit.
And when I was young one of things I loved to do ,
after we got our chores done was to go swimming in the creek.
My brothers and I would head out down our long drive way.
Of course back then it was a dirt and stone driveway,
but like all things time has taken over,
the grass has grown and the trees have grown.
Picture if you can a young girl of about 9 and her 3 brothers,
 all walking down this very long driveway with a salt box in hand.
We would run and try to beat each other to the creek,
 and of course along the way ,We would pick at each other too!
Part of the fun was picking on each other.
Back then that driveway seemed like it went on for miles!
Of course the above picture depicts the driveway and at the far end of the road was the creek.
The creek was flowing gently and the fish were swimming by.
First one of the younger brothers would jump in then I and my older brother would follow.
The water always seemed to be the perfect temp on a hot summer's day!
Now we would splash and swim and get out and dry off on the bank for a short time
and then jump back in, this kept going until we were either to tired to continue or too
bored.  Then (remember the salt box) sometimes there were blood suckers in the creek.
So the salt was poured on them so they would let go and fall off.
(Remind me why we liked to swim in this creek.)
Anyway it was not all the time only once in a while they were there thick.
But like all good things progress happens and today,
 across from what used to be a prestine creek

Sets a factory and the dreams of the future!
Ah to go back in time when all that sat across from the creek,
 was a open field that a farmer used to keep his herd of sheep in.
Oh , how times have changed.



No comments: